Job vacancy: Communications Manager (JHB)
At the helm of managing a Brandnew Creative’s public image, the Communication manager has several responsibilities. The first is to maintain, uphold and grow the company’s brand image in the market place, the second to act on behalf of its clients, ensuring they receive the most beneficial and abundant exposure in their respective markets, and the third to build positive relationships with the media.
- At least 5 years experience in journalism, PR and/or publicity, working for a reputable firm
- A journalist or english degree from a reputable tertiary institution
- Excellent relationships with, and understanding of, the media throughout South Africa
- An understanding of luxury and lifestyle brands, most notably in the sport and lifestyle industries
- A super creative, naturally inquisitive mind, with extensive experience in campaign conceptualisation and creation
- Outstanding managerial and communications skills
Duties and responsibilities
- Building, establishing and maintaining key media relationships with a focus on sport and lifestyle media
- Develop a communications plan including strategy, goals, budget and tactics
- Develop media relations strategy for each client, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media
- Coordinate all public relations activities
- Direct social media team to engage audiences across traditional and new media
- Manage media enquiries and interview requests
- Create content for press releases, byline articles and keynote presentations
- Monitor, analyse and communicate PR results to team and clients on a monthly basis
- Evaluate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising on an on-going basis, and present these to client
- Build relationships with thought leaders to grow industry awareness
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends affecting clients and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them
- Making use of all forms of media and communications to gain favourable and extensive exposure for both clients and Brandnew Creative
- Meeting client PR and publicity objectives and monthly targets
- Management of Newsclip and other media suppliers
- PR quoting
- Assisting, where necessary, with events, press conferences, exhibitions and any other public activations
Reporting directly to the Communications Manager in Cape Town, with weekly status meetings with Group Managing Director
Briefing and managing of PR Executive
Working with the client teams allocated to each client you are responsible for
The successful candidate should have:
- Experience and a deep understanding for the sports, fitness and lifestyle industries, and the major players, apps, trends and opportunities in both
- An innate curiosity and desire to immerse yourself in the clients and brands you work on
- A passion for storytelling
- Contacts and connections which will add immense value to the business
- Travelled extensively to understand how the world works
- The ability to think creatively and translate ideas into workable publicity, social media, events and activations campaigns or projects
- Experience in writing with strong, succinct copy that is enticing and grammatically correct
- A flexible approach and willingness to adapt ideas to the needs of clients
- The ability to meet deadlines and work in a pressurised environment
- Great organisational skills
- An eye for detail and a desire for perfection
- Strong research skills that ensure all ideas are unique, innovative and cutting edge
- The ability to build and maintain relationships, both with media, team mates, clients and suppliers.
- The ability to jump from the creative side of marketing to analytical side, able to demonstrate why their ideas are analytically sound.
- Knowledge and understanding of Social Media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- A passion for organising and the willingness to learn from other creative professionals
- A Team player attitude with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary
- Good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
- Great ability to identify potential negative or crisis situation and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues.
Place of Work
The employee will be stationed at Brandnew Creative Johannesburg: 4 Laura Court, Corner of 4th Avenue and 13th Street, Parkhurst, and will be required to work out of the office at events.
The Employee will earn R22 000 salary per calendar month before deductions as remuneration, with a 4 monthly salary review. The employee will be reimbursed for any costs that arise as a result of business, but will be required to get permission for these expenses.